Workshops & Courses
The Life Centre hosts weekend workshops led by both our regularly scheduled teachers and visiting teachers from the UK and abroad in partnership with our sister company, Yogacampus.
These workshops enable you to explore yoga topics in greater depth, whatever stage you’re at in your yoga journey.
Browse all upcoming workshops below and book online or contact our reception team.
Please note — if booking more than one space on a workshop online, please complete two separate transactions. For more booking information, see our Terms and Conditions.
Filter by location
With Sue Diamond (Hodgkinson)
27 Jan 2018, 14:30–16:30
This workshop will begin with a focused flow, designed to help you to locate and switch on the core and strengthen the upper body in preparation for inversion practice.
We will practice the main inversions: headstand, shoulderstand, forearm stand, chin stand and handstand with some funky variations! You work with the wall and in pairs so everybody feels confident to go upside down!
Why Practice Inversions?
• Relieve back pain, relax muscles, rehydrate discs, realign and reduce pressure.
• Energise and increase blood flow to the brain, resulting in physical invigoration and mental revitalisation.
• Improve balance.
• Increase core strength.
• Build confidence.
• Give yourself a new perspective.
• Inversions are FUN! Bring out your inner child.
• Shoulderstand calms the nervous system, giving a feeling of balance and calm.
Suitable for level 2 students
With Mick Timpson
28 Jan 2018, 11:30–17:00
The Life Centre North are teaming up with Modern Meditation and yoga teacher Mick Timpson from beanddo, for an amazing day exploring how yoga based meditation can help discover a new and better You! This meditation retreat will be an immersive experience and will include practical work, a variety of meditation exercises, along with some theory and discussion.
beanddo modern meditation training has roots in the ancient art and science of yoga, stretching back over five thousand years. Over that time our basic challenge in life hasn't changed. How can we find direction and purpose in life amidst all the distractions and noise? And when we find that direction, how do we then align our mind and body moment-to-moment, as fully as we can, knowing that it is where happiness resides?
Modern meditation techniques help you to know and be in those moments of direction whatever you're doing, wherever you are.
With practice, this simple technique wakes us up to a fuller, more enriching and flowing life experience – your life!
Over one transformative day learn how to discover your real talents, manage stress and anxiety, open up to your creativity, intuition and nurture your inner resources for wellbeing, happiness and health.
Spaces are limited, so don’t miss your chance to attend.
Who is the urban retreat for?
Anyone and everyone who want the chance to step outside their daily routine and explore how to bring about change in their life. No previous experience is required.
What will I learn?
- How to practice powerful but simple modern meditation techniques that will change the way you see and operate in the world every day
- How to build resilience and thrive at work.
- How to access deep relaxation and inner calm whenever you need it
- How to focus, concentrate and stay present
- How to direct your skills and expertise effectively and effortlessly
- How to access your natural inner resource for happiness
- How to nurture and enrich creativity and insight
11.30 Arrival, welcome and introduction
Relaxation nidra and breathing and centring
12.00pm Part One - Where are you?
Introduction to the art and science of Modern Meditation, where it comes from how and why it works. This first part will introduce the core practices of modern meditation in terms of how to direct attention, build a deeper awareness and let go to the power of just being the real you wherever you are.
1.30pm short break. Yoga in action
2.00pm Part Two - Gaining control
Then we go deeper and explore the subtle techniques that show us the how to change our view of the world from within and manage and tackle negative and restrictive habits that obstruct and close you off from being fully awake and alive.
3.30pm Part Three- Taking Inspired action
This final part introduces how beanddo modern meditation can be applied in daily life no matter where you are or what you are doing. The retreat will explore techniques that then help affirm action and purpose, open up insight and creativity, build intention be in the world and thrive.
Prepared to meet 2018 with creativity, resilience, purpose and confidence
For anyone & everyone who want the chance to step outside their daily routine & explore how to bring about change in their life.
Includes a Ginger Rocket Juice to give you an extra ‘zing’ at the end!
Rocket yoga is a playful and powerful sequence of postures, rooted in Ashtanga. Danny and Fiona’s regular classes are often Rocket inspired but this session will allow us to explore the full sequence which takes around 90 minutes to complete. Whilst working through the flow we will pause to break down some of the more challenging arm balances and inversions.
The Rocket is a very energising practice, which is perfect for this time of year when we can feel a little sluggish and as though our good intentions for the New Year have gone off the boil. We will bring our focus back to our aims for 2018, on and off the mat, as well as acknowledging and letting go of the things that might have been holding us back.
Suitable for regular practitioners. Ideally attendees will have practiced vinyasa yoga regularly for at least a year.
With Mick Timpson
19 Feb – 12 Mar 2018, 17:45–19:00
A unique 4-week course introducing the art & science of wholeness, resilience, creativity and wellbeing with Mick Timpson.
Week-by-week, Mick will gently guide you towards knowing how to stop and relax purposefully, guide your attention and manage your mind towards knowing a deeper conscious awareness.
Combining current research with ancient wisdom, Mick teaches how you can develop the insight gained in meditation into something that’s built into your daily life.
The course will touch on:
• Learning to stop and be still.
• Techniques for managing and maintaining regular practice.
• Posture, attitude and what meditation is and isn’t.
• Dealing with the busy wandering mind.
• Letting go of I, Me and Mine.
• The connection between mind body and breath.
• Breaking mental habits and getting round obstacles.
• Directing and holding attention.
• Non-attachment and non-judgmental awareness.
• Dealing with strong emotions.
• The yogi model of the mind.
• Breaking free of the inner critic and your comfort zone.
• Extending meditation into the everyday.
4 week course
19 February – 12 March
Suitable for all levels
With Maryline Higham
3 Mar 2018, 14:00–17:00
£55 per couple
Pre-booking only, no drop ins
Invite your birth partner to a one-off preparation class. Friendly, informative and hands-on session on natural pain management techniques and postures, for an active and serene birth experience.
A dedicated space for the couple to rehearse movements and breathing techniques together, and help build confidence as a team before the birth day.
During this 3 hour workshop, we will explore:
- simple and efficient relaxation techniques and posture
- breathing techniques valid for all birth scenarios and labour stages
- how your partner can support you both practically and emotionally during the course of labour
- visualisations, movements and pain relief techniques for contractions
- massage for labour, pressure points, birth positions and much more
Many tools and tips pre & post labour will be shared, based on Maryline's 10 years experience at coaching couples for birth. The workshop will leave you and your partner feeling prepared, inspired and excited at the prospect of giving birth.
Come with your partner, husband, mum, sister or anyone supportive.
This session is ideal if you are over 32 weeks pregnant. Book your space as soon as possible as places are limited to 5 couples per workshop.
Suitable for those over 32 weeks pregnant
Meet the Teachers
Donna’s spiritual journey began after experiencing a solar eclipse in India in 1995.
Shortly after that, she took a silent Vipassana retreat followed by a number of others, which changed her as a person and prepared her for when she found yoga, via an Ashtanga Vinyasa class which she happened across on her way to the beach in Goa in 1998.